doxpop© Property Watch
What is Property Watch by doxpop©?
Doxpop Property Watch is a new, free service that helps prevent fraud by notifying people when documents are filed that affect their property. Early warning when unexpected or suspicious documents are filed provides property owners with a powerful tool to stop fraud in the early stages.
The Vermillion County Recorder has partnered with Doxpop to make this service
available at no cost to the property owners of Vermillion County.
Here is what Doxpop Property Watch will do:
- Doxpop Property Watch sets watches on both a name and multiple property descriptions. This improves on previous approaches to detecting fraud because a solely name-based search can easily fail to notify people who simply mis-typed a name or have a document filed with a different name spelling.
- Recorders may opt to let users sign up on-line to provide maximum flexibility, or may opt to require users to sign up at the Recorder’s office to add more security to the process. Both approaches have merit and Doxpop allows your Recorder to choose the best option for the local community.
- Doxpop is pleased to make Doxpop Property Watch available as a free public service to those counties whose Recorders have partnered with us. Because the Recorders that use Doxpop are careful stewards of the public trust, no public funding was used to provide this service to your community.
Quick Start Guide
Doxpop Property Watch allows you to set a watch on your name and any property you own. If a new document is filed at the Recorder’s office that references either your name or the property you selected, you will receive an email notifying you of the newly filed document.
Here are the steps in detail:
Step 1. Go to http://watch.doxpop.com
Step 2. Click on the “Find Your Name” button:
Step 3. Select your county by clicking on the down-arrow next to “Choose County” and choose your county from the drop-down list. Now click on “Continue”
Step 4. Enter your first and last name and click on “Search”
Step 5. Click on the check box next to each deed you wish to watch and then click on “Continue”.
Step 6. Click on the check box next to each mortgage you wish to watch and then click on “Continue”.
If no deeds or mortgages are listed during steps 6 or 7, it may be due to one of the following reasons:
- Your name may be entered incorrectly. Use the “back” button on your browser to go back and verify your name. You might also want to try variations on your name in case the document has your name recorded differently. You may set as many watches as you need to cover any name variations.
- Your documents were recorded before computerized records begin in your county. Some recorders only have recent documents available. If this is the case, you may still set a watch based only on your name.
- There are currently no documents that reference your name in this county. You may still want to set a watch on your name to be notified of any documents filed in the future that name you.
Step 7. Enter your contact information and click on “Subscribe”
If you have any questions about how to use the Doxpop Property Watch Service, call our toll-free help line at 866-369-7671 between 8AM and 5PM Eastern Time. Friendly people are waiting to help.